|Date:||June 5, 2019|
|To:||St. George Campus Faculty & Staff|
|From:||Work Study Program Team|
Submit positions now for the NEW Fall – Winter 2019-2020 Work Study Program! Submission Deadline is July 5th
The fall/winter Work Study Program submission period is now open. Before posting a Work Study position, please read this memo carefully.
The Work Study Program offers on-campus positions that provide students with an opportunity to gain practical work experience. Through the Work Study Program, students develop their knowledge, strengthen their skills and explore how their academic studies translate to career possibilities.
This year, the University has made some important changes to the Work Study Program to streamline the supervisor experience and ensure students are having a meaningful work integrated learning experience in the Work Study Program.
By participating in the Work Study program, all Work Study students and supervisors are expected to:
- Set learning goals – students set learning goals with their Work Study supervisor and have a mid-point check-in and final review of the learning goals
- Student self-assessment and evaluation by supervisor – students complete a self-assessment at the end their contract and supervisors provide formal feedback about the student’s work performance
The Professional Development Workbook, available on CLNx, is an optional tool to support these key requirements and more!
NEW – A highlight of changes:
- The Work Study Program is a program approved by the University of Toronto that is exempt from the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA).
- Because the Work Study Program is exempt from the ESA, 4% vacation pay is not paid on top of the wage.
- Students will be paid $15 per hour; employers may pay a higher wage, but they must cover the additional cost at 100%. Guidelines for top-ups can be found in the FAQ section of CLNx
- During their first position in the Work Study Program, students will receive two hours’ paid training organized by the unit and to be accommodated within the funded hours – one hour related to setting and reflecting on learning goals, and one hour for professional development or skills training.
- Refer to the new Work Study content on CLNx for step-by-step process instructions and more!
For full details on posting a position to the Work Study Program: please log into your Faculty & Staff account on the Career & Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx) and go to the Work Study page: Jobs & Recruitment > Work Study > Work Study Jobs > Post a New Job (or ‘Repost a Job’ if you are hiring for a previously posted Work Study position).
For questions about funding, paying students, eligibility or outstanding issues from a previous Work Study session, please contact Nina Luciano at Enrolment Services at 416-978-7960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding posting a position or program details, please contact Libby Whittington-West at email@example.com.